The legacy of the late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen lives on at some of Seattle’s most impressive institutions.
This 7 days GeekWire profiled the AI2 incubator, a branch of the Allen Institute for AI (AI2) introduced by Allen in 2013. GeekWire co-founder Todd Bishop explored the past and the foreseeable future of the incubator, which is progressively fostering wellness tech and biotech firms which includes BirchAI and Modulus Therapeutics.
We also interviewed the new CEO of the Allen Institute, the lifetime sciences counterpart to the AI2. Rui Costa spoke about team exploration, his motivation to variety, and his perspective on the institute’s tactic to new market partnerships.
Browse on for this and more daily life sciences and well being tech coverage in the Pacific Northwest from GeekWire and past, including a analyze showcasing the Allen Institute’s new visualization tool, the “Simularium Viewer.”
— Inside of the AI2 Incubator: Microsoft co-founder’s unfinished legacy fuels quest for new AI startups
— The neural dynamics of teamwork: New Allen Institute CEO on range and affect in existence science
New scientific tests:
- The Allen Institute’s “Simularium Viewer” permits computational visualization of organic processes and was described in a study this 7 days. Scientists showcased video simulations of a nanoparticle wrapped by an outer coat, a lung infected by the COVID-19 virus, and the bacterium E. Coli dividing.
- Alpine Immune Sciences published a preclinical examine on its direct immuno-oncology candidate, an immune “checkpoint inhibitor” directed in opposition to three targets at when. The Seattle biotech firm is screening the compound in two medical trials.
- Researchers at Fred Hutch and their colleagues located that breast cancer procedure may possibly end result in an elevated hazard for cardiovascular situations. “Scientists and clinicians must prioritize investigation that will lower this possibility,” said Fred Hutch investigator Heather Greenlee in a news launch.
- A noninvasive ultrasound technique examined by College of Washington surgeon Jonathan Harper and his colleagues can dissipate kidney stones. The approach could direct to less invasive cure techniques and is certified to Silicon Valley business SonoMotion.
- The College of Washington will establish a new tuberculosis exploration heart with up to $5.3 million from the U.S. Nationwide Institutes of Health, announced this 7 days.
- AVM Biotechnology landed a $1.6 million tiny enterprise grant from the National Institutes of Wellbeing. The grant will assist preclinical research on the Seattle company’s direct compound, based on the corticosteroid dexamethasone. The compound triggers a unique variety of T cell and will be tested in variety 1 diabetes in mouse types. Meanwhile, the organization is enrolling clients in a period 1/2 medical demo tests the compound in blood cancers.
- The University of Washington Startup Career & Internship Truthful this year was stay and in person. Biotech organizations ended up entrance and middle.
- Uncover Ventures and the Washington Condition Section of Commerce chosen 10 tech startups and founders for its initial “Equitable Innovations Accelerator.” Health tech corporations Coltrain, Litesprite and GoldenSHERPA made the slash.
Moving up and abroad:
- Fred Hutch investigator Phil Greenberg was elected president of the American Association for Most cancers Exploration.
- Seattle biotech enterprise Nanostring is increasing, opening a European headquarters in Amsterdam.
- Adaptive Biotechnologies’ former main medical officer Lance Baldo has a new career with the exact title at South San Francisco-centered Freenome.
- Inventprise has a new CEO, Yves Leurquin, and two new board members. The Redmond, Clean.-based mostly business also received $30 million of up to $90 million pledged by the Invoice & Melinda Gates Foundation to assistance scientific progress of the company’s vaccine for pediatric pneumococcal disorder.